Established in 1988
To recognize or support individuals who are committed to the research-related development or testing of theory in occupational therapy with priority given to work in the area of sensory processing. The award is given in honor of A. Jean Ayres, PhD, OTR, whose concentration on developing theory in support of practice was of great significance to the profession of occupational therapy.
Click here for a list of A. Jean Ayres recipients.
- Be initially certified by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, formerly the American Occupational Therapy Certification Board.
- Not be serving as a member of the American Occupational Therapy Foundation Board of Trustees.
Individual American Occupational Therapy Association members or a group of members are eligible to submit nominations.
Nominations must be emailed to the Chair of the AOTF Awards and Recognition Committee in care of Jeanne Cooper, AOTF Awards Program Coordinator by September 1 of each year.
- a nomination form completed by the candidate.
- one-page summary of career.
- letter of nomination.
- two (2) letters of support.
- current curriculum vitae of candidate which must include a list of publications, and/or presentations (seminars, symposia, workshops, scientific papers, awards, and honors.)
- no more than five (5) reprints of publications pertinent to the award in peer-reviewed journals if applicable.
- a recent photograph of nominee (hi-resolution 300 dpi or greater)
- as an addendum to the nomination letter, a short paragraph of no more than 100 words to appear in professional publications citing the nominee's contributions.
- Individuals nominated but not selected may be re-nominated in succeeding years.
Criteria for Selection
- Type of contribution (practice, education, or research)
- Extent of contribution (scope and depth)
- Quality of contribution
- Sphere of influence
- Recognition by others
- Benefit to the profession
Contact Jeanne Cooper, AOTF Awards Program Coordinator.
A. Jean Ayres Award Recipients
| 2018 Roberta (Bobbi) Pineda, PhD, OTR/L
2017 Elizabeth (Beth) A. Pfeiffer, PhD, OTR/L, BCP
2016 Alison E. Lane, PhD, OTR
2014 Dottie M. Ecker, MA, OTR/L, FAOTA
Susan H. Knox, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
2013 Patricia L. Davies, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
2012 Shelley E. Mulligan, PhD, OTR/L
Grace Baranek, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
2011 Ellen S. Cohn, ScD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Jane A. Koomar, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
2010 Erna Imperatore Blanche, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
Mary L. Schneider, PhD, OTR/L
2009 Shelly Lane, PhD, OTR/L
Susanne Smith Roley, MS, OTR/L, FAOTA
2008 Beatriz Abreu, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
Roseanne Schaaf, PhD, OTR/L, FAOTA
2005 Paula Kramer, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
Zoe Mailloux, MA, OTR/L, FAOTA
| 2004 Catherine A. Trombley, ScD, OTR/L, FAOTA
2003 Winifred Wiese Dunn, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
2001 Jane Case-Smith, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
Wendy Coster, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
1998 L. Diane Parham, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
Charlotte Brasic Royeen, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
1997 Anne C. Mosey, PhD, OTR, FAOTA
1993 Anita C. Bundy, ScD, OTR, FAOTA
1992 Georgia DeGangi, PhD, OTR
Lucy Miller, PhD, OTR
1991 Sharon A. Cermak, EdD, OTR, FAOTA
Anne G. Fisher, ScD, OTR, FAOTA
1990 Elizabeth J. Yerxa, EdD, OTR, FAOTA
1989 Janice Burke, MA, OTR
Gary Kielhofner, DrPH, OTR, FAOTA
1988 Lela Llorens. PhD, OTR, FAOTA
Kenneth Ottenbacher, PhD, OTR, FAOTA