- Do I have to be a member of The American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) to be awarded a scholarship? NO. However, certain scholarships have eligibility requirements involving membership in professional organizations associated with occupational therapy. The AOTF Scholarship Selection Committee deems that membership in occupational therapy organizations is an indication of student professional development. See the Availability and Eligibility page. To join AOTA click here www.aota.org/membership.
- How many State Associations offer scholarships? This year 22 states and the District of Columbia are offering scholarships to occupational therapy students through the AOTF Scholarship Program. Be sure to check your state's offerings and requirements for membership and residence on the Availability and Eligibility page.
- Do I have to be a member of a State Association to be awarded a scholarship? No. Membership in a state association is not required to receive an AOTF scholarship. However, to be awarded a state scholarship in some states, state occupational therapy association membership is required. Please check the specific requirements on the Availability and Eligibility page.
- When is the application deadline? Applications must be submitted online by October 29, 2015 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Program Director Statements and References will be due by December 9, 2015 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time.
- When are scholarships awarded? The Scholarship Selection Committee reviews application materials, Program Director Statements and references in late Winter. Scholarship winners are announced by April / May 2015.
- Are AOTF scholarships renewable? No, scholarships are not renewable. However, recipients may apply a second time if they are still enrolled in an accredited educational program.
- Do I complete just one application for all of the scholarships that I am eligible for? Yes. The Scholarship Selection Committee selects recipients for each of the offered scholarships. If there are no qualified applicants for specific scholarships, those scholarships are not awarded.
- I am a first year OT student. Am I eligible to apply? No. Students applying for a scholarship at the post-baccalaureate level must have completed the equivalent of one full-year of Occupational Therapy specific coursework. If you are studying to become an occupational therapy assistant, you must be in your final year to be eligible.
- Must I report the scholarship award on my taxes? Tax laws vary by country. In the United States, scholarship funds used exclusively for the payment of tuition or textbooks are normally not taxable. The scholarship recipient is responsible for taxes, if any, that may be assessed against your scholarship award. AOTF does not presume to provide tax information. For tax questions please refer to a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or accredited tax preparer. You may also counsult IRS Publication 970 for further information (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf).
- How do I submit my application? There is a submit button in the main menu. Once you are comfortable that the application is accurate and complete, click the submit button to submit your application. Prior to submitting your application, you can go back to any page and review your answers at any time. You will NOT be able to access your application once it has been submitted.
- I am having trouble saving my essay. We recommend that you type the essay into NotePad, Wordpad or Word on your computer. Then login to the system, navigate to the essay page and copy and paste the completed essay into the space provided, saving immediately.
If you have additional questions, contact Jeanne Cooper, AOTF Scholarship Program Coordinator at JCooper@aotf.org